Most of us have heard about abdominal belts but do you know exactly what they are?
Generally speaking, an abdominal belt (also known as an abdominal binder) is a wide compression belt meant to encircle your abdomen. They are often used to speed-up the recovery process after abdominal surgery. Your doctor may recommend you use one after:
- A cesarean birth
- A hysterectomy
- A spinal surgery
- A bariatric surgery
- An exploratory laparotomy
- Fractures or stress fractures
- Back pain
Uses of Abdominal Belts
The main goal of an abdominal belt is to reduce restlessness, prevent certain complications with your surgery wound, and help with mobility. In some cases, they may also lower your chances of having a seroma- a buildup of fluid post-surgery.
Dey’s Medical’s 100% delicate cotton abdominal belts are sized and accessorized as per your requirements. This customized product is durable, long-lasting, and can easily sustain extensive use. And if that wasn’t enough, they also come in a wide range of colors. Get yours today!
How to Apply Abdominal Belts
Depending on the type of surgery you have, you may have to wear your abdominal belt for up to six weeks, or for the full duration of your recovery. Once you purchase our customized product, here’s how you must use it.
- Wrap the abdominal belt around your abdomen with the closures in the front.
- Ensure the belt is snug, but not tight. You should be able to breathe comfortably.
- Keep the belt clean and dry. A wet, dirty belt can increase your chances of skin infection. Our abdominal belt is entirely washable, so there’s no need to worry!
Benefits of Abdominal Belts
There are plenty of benefits to using abdominal belts. A few of them are mentioned as follows.
- It helps tone the abdominal muscles
- It offers optimal support
- It reduces pain while laughing
- It prevents sagging in the abdominal region
- It aids quicker and more effective post-pregnancy recovery
- It helps you cough without pain
- It avoids squeezing and cramping up the muscles
- It can increase circulation in your surgical site to promote healing and reduce inflammation
- It can make physical activity more comfortable
Although it is okay to use an abdominal belt without supervision, we suggest consulting a doctor or physiotherapist about how long you need to use it. And when you’re ready to get your customized product, contact Dey’s Medical Orthopedic without delay!